Friday, June 14, 2013

Rainy Fridays

Making the most on this rainy Friday


Bulk Barn 2.0
So last night after work I decided to head to bulk barn for a baking-buy! Remember this post, Buying in Bulk, well last night I bought more and spent $15.00 less! WIN! I've been obsessing with my recipe book lately and I was dying to make some granola so I went in for a 'look' and walked out with $31.00 worth of goodies!


 
Purchases :) (most of them)
  On the list
  • raisins
  • peanut butter chips
  • whole almonds
  • raw almonds
  • raw cashews
  • dried cranberries
  • dried mangos
  • sunbutter (o-b-s-e-s-s-e-d)
  • dried bananas
  • chili peppers
  • cilantro
  • pumpkin seeds

*greek yogurt covered almonds - these are not shown in any pictures above as they did not make it to the car. O yes, I was one of 'those' shoppers
**guess who LOVEs Bulk Barn? ... ME ME MEEEEE

After I got home from the BB, I wasn't feeling the hottest from eating those almonds so I showered, tidied and headed for bed. I was so tired I thought I was going to be sick. And then I found myself laying in bed for 1.5hrs .. staring out the window and playing 'blog' in my head haha getting excited to write this post that I'm sure I find more amusing than of you readers. Le sigh haha bloggy blog :)

Happy Friday
So the weather was garbage in St. John's today. It was pretty chilly and it was misty all day. To be honest, I enjoyed it. This gave me a reason to run some errands and not feel the need to be on Signal Hill beating myself out because there is a little sun otg.

So what do you think I did? Ahhh ... the same thing I do every day #1 of my work turnaround, silly! Starbucks :) (yes, that's a selfie and yes it took two tries  to get it)

Iced Americano

 Grocery Day
 Ok, so am I the only one who absolutely loves grocery shopping? I mean, I love it! I actually get excited. I alwaysss hear people complain about having to go to Dominion or Sobey's or Costco. Like for real? I could sit and make my grocery list and book it to the store with a big smile on my face! I find grocery shopping makes me feel healthy. I can plan my healthy eats and filter what I should and shouldn't be eating. Anyhow, this morning when I woke up, I headed to Costco for a time. I think I'm gonna have a good week of healthy eating. :) I'll drink a Bud Light to that (This is happening - It's Friday).

 
On the List

  • grapes
  • blackberries
  • blueberries
  • strawberries
  • pineapple
  • avocado
  • celery
  • tomatoes
  • spinach
  • eggs
  • egg whites
  • 4kg of Harvest Creek Chicken
  • goat cheese (I'm living a low-dairy lifestyle these days but I treat myself to GC on salads sometimes.. and I told someone I'd make them a broccoli salad and GC was in the mix)
  • sweet potato/mini spuds (for the brunch I'm planning)
  • wraps (for the brunch I'm planning)
Furniture Shopping
So I've been without a bedroom set since I lived in Paradise in March, 2012. I have a walk-in closet that I adore but I've recently ran out of hangers. I've been looking at bedroom sets for some time now but they're so damn pricey! I figured if I was going to be dishing out upwards of $2000 (yes, that's how much sets go for a'days), then I'd want to make sure that I love love love my purchase. Last Thursday, mom and I met after work for a little gawk at Leon's and Cohen's. Guess who found a set she love-love-lovesss?? ME! Today after grocery shopping, I headed to Leon's and put the down payment on my brand new set (well I'm only getting the dresser, mirror, chest and nightstand as I got a brand new bed last year). I have a 2-3 week wait but it's sooo worth it. I'm excited to the moon and back! This is the biggest purchase I've made in a while now so hopefully it'll give me a kick start on keeping my room clean... well.. we'll see..

New Set & Receipt to prove
I made the down payment 
 
 Running Favourites
After my little trip to finalize my set, I headed to the running room for some WIGWAM socks. I have a couple of pair of Nike running socks but I was told that these runners are the real deal. Not gonna lie, I bought a pair of Nike socks in Vegas and they are the bomb.com but I need a few pairs because I don't have enough laundry to keep them clean. These socks are double-lined on the heels and toes to ensure there is no rubbing. They are tight around the arch for the proper arch support. I ran with these bad boys today and I would tooootally give them a 10/10! <3  I love buying new workout items as I find they actually get me excited to workout :)
 
 
 I also picked up a pack of GU. I haven't eaten GU since the Tely last year and thought I'd give it another go. I picked up the blueberry flavour and I'm pretty pumped to try it. I tucked a pack of GU in my shorts last year to eat halfway through the race. Come mile 6, I hauled it out and squished it in my mouth (not even knowing what flavour I was eating) HOLY HANNAH!!!!! It was chocolate peppermint (vomit) and it was warm as _____ outside (vomit twice).  Chocolate+Running in 30+ weather = bad news bears!!  I thought I was gonna throw up and a kid with a bottle of water told me I had brownie stuck in my teeth.. I was pretty much the sexiest thing running the race that day. (Ps. I have chills just thinking about that).

A little Baking
I've been on the baking kick here lately so after my shopping, I snuck in an hour of yumness with homemade granola. I wish I could take credit for this recipe but I'd be lying if I said I came up with it. I totally stole the recipe from Sam Norman and made some adjustments to suit myself. Sam has her own blog, http://samanthameetsworld.blogspot.ca/. She lives a healthy lifestyle and posts AMAZING recipes on her blog. Her granola recipe can be found right here (Thanks, Sam).


 Ingredients
3 cups of rolled oats
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup honey
3/4 cup raw cashews
3/4 cup almonds
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup dried cranberries
1/3 unsweetened shredded coconut

 
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350F
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl
Spread mixture on a cookie sheet that is lined with parchment paper
Cook for 15-20 minutes.
As suggest by Sam, remove from oven and give a little stir, then put back in for 5-minutes
Let cool and serve/container

 
And there you have it. Lots and lots of yummy delicious granola :)
 
 
Almost Green
After I finished my baking (which I heard was great because mama stopped over and took a cup full), I headed to the Green Depot to get rid of some recyclables that were taking up kitchen space.
 
 
anddddd NEGATIVE! That place was closed. Rattled. I guess I'll put that on the Saturday list/not!


Workout
 
Todays workout was a short one. I timed it and was going to post the total but I forgot to stop the stopwatch. When I looked at it, it said 3:05 (I probably could have faked it and looked all 'I'm hard as nails at the gym for 3-hrs') but no, I was at the gym for 1:08 today.

After my 5.0mph run with Mandy the other night, I was curious to see how easy I'd find it if I jogged a longer distance. Today I did 5.0-miles. I ran 4 miles on 5.0mph and for the last mile I broke the quarters up into 6.0, 6.5, 7.0 and 8.0mph. It was such a good run. I honestly think I could have run another couple but I quit there because 1. I had to pee and 2. I had some things to do at home. Overall, I was impressed with my workout. I vowed I'd never run at a speed <6.0mph but I think I'm gonna start switching it up. I'm meeting Miss Mandy at the gym tomorrow so we'll see how that jog goes :) Lifeeee

Relaxing with Epsom Salts

 Every time I'm with A, we discuss how relaxing espom salt baths are. The only thing I don't like about baths are 1. you have to make sure the tub is immaculate (ew! if it's not) and 2. they're boring. Today after my gym session, I came home, filled up the tub, threw in some lemon and grass epsom salts (Hempware - amazing!) and sat in the tub for 20 minutes. I got over-heated and bored so I decided to start typing down ideas for my blog in my iPhone. It was swell. It was relaxing and well needed. I have a hard time sitting and doing nothing but this was so worth it :)

Ps. as I waited for the rub to fill, I got a head start on some dishes (don't judge on the amount please). And no, I did not dry them. I'm pro air-dry. And yes, I wiped the sink out before placing any items in there.


#12 from This post
13. clean my fridge (spray down/wipe down/organize by food group) <- wanted to do this for quite some time now
Sparkling
 
Ta-daaa
I removed everything from my fridge (threw out more than should have been there), sprayed it down with Fantastik (probably gonna die with chemical-food cross contamination) and organized my fridge! I was dreading this for a while now but felt excellent after doing so. I think I'm gonna try and stay on top of this task from here on out.

As I sprayed and cleaned and organized .. there was this little Budlight that was giving me the stink eye.. so as you would, I drank it! It kinda made cleaning a little more fun! :)


A Fantastik (<--haha from earlier) Rainy Friday
 
So here I sit. Drinking my venti black Pike coffee and concluding a lovely Friday for you readers. I'm was gonna avoid telling you the time (cause I'm cool on a Friday night and would sooner blog than drink).

I got a lot done today. I got to cross a lot of items off of my 'Turnaround To Do" list. I hope everyone else took advantage of their Friday and have a great weekend planned! I have a yoga-run-with-Mandy-bbq-day-drunk kinda day planned for Saturday so don't expect anything productive from this gal!

Good night, all! Heart heart <3

No comments:

Post a Comment